Thursday, September 3, 2009

Faygo what?


A couple of nights ago I was introduced to the wonderful world of Faygo. We went to a Chinese restaurant, well it was more take-out, Panda Express style. There were pictures of food, about 4 tables and real chinese people behind the counter. Which, actually, is going to put me on a short tangent. Last week we went to the San Antonio Taco Company, also known as SATCO and wow, it was interesting. I was confused by the reviews on yelp. San Antonio Tacos scream Tex Mex to me except someone raised in SoCal was claiming it was authentic Mexican. Tex Mex is not authentic Mexican! Ugh. Anyway, we show up and we are handed a sheet of paper outside, you mark off what you want sushi style. I scan the list and at the bottom are chicken wings. Chicken wings? Now I'm really confused. The did have carnitas but otherwise the menu was super basic. Queso, taco and enchilladas. I walk in and hand my order to the cashier. She didn't give me change for my $2.46 taco but whatever, I'll let her have it. So the first thing I notice is the music isn't the traditional tacqueria music. Then I see it. Not a single person in the kitchen or at the counter is Mexican. A Mexican place without Mexicans?? I'm not saying Italians need to cook Italian, Greek cook gyros, etc but after coming from California with Mexican a plenty, I was in shock. The whole kitchen was black, which explains the chicken wings on the menu. Not something you see everyday. The food wasn't bad, the carnitas were a bit more pulled porkish but I liked it. A crew of about 30 frat boys entered the restaurant in suit jackets and shorts. We could just imagine what the drunk crowd was like, I'll have everything and mark off the whole sheet. Which by the way, was also weird. The put taco and enchillada 3 times on the menu. Not a different type of enchillada but three of the same. Anyway, it was an interesting introduction to Nashville. I did find the little Mexico. It's out by Home Depot. Zac's barber had moved here from NoCal and he said when he got here he really missed good Mexican food. He wants a kitchen full of Mexicans that don't speak English and he found it.


Ok back to the Chinese take-out. While we are waiting for our food he spots it. Cans of Faygo in the cooler. Faygo you ask? It's a small independent soda out of the Detroit made famous by the Insane Clown Posse. Violent J threw an open bottle into the crowd and has hoped the company would do a limited edition soda for all the Juggalos but the company has yet to acknowledge them. Juggalo? They are the followers of the ICP, well actually they are male follwers, Juggalettes are the female followers. So we decided to give it a shot. We bought the grape can and it tasted awful. AWFUL. Grape Bubble Yum in a can with a ton of small bubbles. Thankfully the Chinese was better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're back to blogging. I always learn new and disturbing things from your posts :)