Wednesday, September 2, 2009

If I don't have a job, I might as well blog.

Well I made it to Nashville. The roadtrip was amazing but I'll cover that at a later time. Nashville is a funny little microcosm. There is this dichotomy that exists. The downtown is a carnival of cowboy living, the west end is a college town nestled in a bigger city. The banks welcome back the students. The bar at the Holiday Inn is named after the football team. The city is not quite as southern as I expected, but yet it's completely southern. It's not a southern city filled with cowboys and cowboy boots. It's a southern city filled with frat boys and college football. Little did I know reading, "I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell" would prepare me for Vanderbilt life. I haven't directly communicated with the real life Tucker Maxes but at one of our first outtings I saw more than a few mulling around the comedy club. They double fisted beers and yelled, "Yeeeeaaaahhh" a lot. One so much that one of the guys in the Broken Lizard troupe had to tell him to shut up. This weekend I will officially be inducted into college football: Vanderbilt versus Western Carolina. More to follow on that.

The downtown of Nashville is filled with neon lights and country stores, not like cracker barrel. We went down this past Saturday for BBQ on the waterfront. It was slightly disappointing as we couldn't try any of the bbq. Something about health laws. However the downtown was packed. We were confused until we saw Keith Urban was playing that night, with Sugarland as the opener. Still with the country boot stores, country bands playing 3/4 of the day and bbq every other store front I couldn't help but to feel that Fresno has more authentic cowboys. I gather if you leave the city, the real cowboy life begins. Hopefully I'll see some at the state fair. So far though, I really enjoy the city. I really enjoyed the country band turned almost rockabilly. I loved the cross section of artists. Furthermore, I love the diversity of the population.

Surprisingly though, unemployment hasn't brought the creativity. I've come to realize I need to be busy to function. It's too easy to lay in bed until 11:30, go sit by the pool until 3 and then watch TV and apply for jobs until past midnight. Yeah it sounds fun but it's not. It's tiring doing nothing. It's boring. My brain needs stimulation. I need a hobby, a job and about 4 friends. So hopefully the next post will be a bit more creative and a bit funnier.

1 comment:

AAW said...

We don't have cowboys in the South. What you see in Nash are the faux country music wannabes. Travel outside the city a bit and you'll see 'rednecks' and 'southerners'. But, no real cowboys. Those are out west.

Hard to believe you are only 2 hours away from my home town.

Enjoy the southern living and I'll keep you posted for some good rock bands to go see. (If you hear that Glossary is playing anywhere near, go see them. They are incredible).

J.