Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Wham, bam, thank you ma'am!

I did it! I've managed to secure a second date on e-harmony. Ok so the date hasn't actually happened but the fact he asked is enough. After hearing about one girl who has gone on 150 dates, I began to prepare myself for a very long journey. It'll be just like "50 First Dates," except I won't have amnesia and I'm not being courted everyday by the same charismatic man. When I thought about it a bit longer after 50 first dates I might want to develop amnesia. Now, 150? I would need a clone, there is no way I could do it! She could go to work for me everyday and every night date a different guy. Each week it could report back to me via an "Out of this world" gleaming cube while I sun myself on a Costa Rican beach.

Speaking of beaches, I have dreams of what happens when the boss goes on vacation. It usually involves the counter turning into a sandy beach and my cubicle, a cabana. All the law students become male waiters who fan me and deliver Pina Coladas with grenadine in it. It has yet to come true. Last time we were stuck learning the dance moves to the Britney Spears track "Hit me baby one more time." Other times we've played tape, hit the coworker with a stress ball and monkey in the middle.

Back to the potential second date. We had e-mailed a few times, found a few common ground issues. We both dislike people who bike at night wearing all black, without lights or reflectors. We both also have pondered the use of "free range." What does it mean, what's the difference between a free range egg and a cage free one? If you give a chicken enough space to be free range doesn't that pretty much make it cage free?? Well not so my friends. For an egg to be free range it just means that its cage is about 2-3 inches bigger or it has a window. Don't believe me, wiki it!

On our first date I agreed to meet him 7:30 at Yancy's but I still wasn't sure. Even with all the commonalities I also felt overwhelmed by his use of smiley faces. I imagined I was going to meet a man that looked like Jack (from Jack in the Box.) When I got there he was pretty much everything I thought he would be sans jack face, no false advertising in the photo department. We had two beers and chatted until 2am, I have no idea where the time went or what we actually discussed. I know there was a lot of laughing, talk of moon front property, his obsession with daytime TV and what a true enginerd really encompasses. I also do recall a few times I said, I shouldn't be telling you this but....and then telling him stuff that shouldn't come out on a first date. I may need 50 first dates to get back in the game. I left feeling pretty good, there weren't exactly fireworks but there was potential. How could there not be we talked for 6 and a half hours. My throat actually hurt the next day.

I was willing to bet he would call so I was prepared for that but I wasn't prepared for how I would feel when it actually happened. I think I'm developing a fear of commitment. What if we said everything we could on the first date? Why ruin a perfectly good memory with a second lackluster one. Maybe I'm not ready to settle down. I think I've become tainted. Last time some guy told me he liked me on a first date less than a month later I had met everyone he cared about and successfully passed his rigorous interview process. Now that was overwhelming. So it does make me nervous. I feel like I meet two types of guys; the ones who as they get older get less and less able to be in a committed relationship and the other ones who are on the fast track to marriage. I would like to find one in the middle. As for this guy, I'll just have to wait and find out.

So there we have it, date number 2 on Saturday. Update to follow next week.

No comments: