Thursday, March 20, 2008

Rapid fire rejection

We've all heard the rumors, internet dating is filled with men and women who have been emotionally abused one too many times; they are broken and damaged. Its the same story over again with new names and faces. I thought I had dodged the emo bullet with the first two men I met but I've learned men hide it well. Women can't seem to stop talking about their exes, men never seem to want to. If they do, you know you need to get out fast. I thought I found my first nice guy in years, someone who was not only nice, but ready to get into a relationship and give it 100%. Understandably I had reservations about him, most of you have seen my trail of depris and its not pretty, but I finally checked out of the cycle and said, I am ready, he's honestly a really great guy. Like most dating stories, when you finally give in and accept your feelings thats when they drop the bomb. This bomb, I was not expecting. While discussing with my friend about our plans to go to a brewery he called and said we needed to talk. My heart sank, I thought I knew what was coming. What I didn't expect was the, "I ran into my ex-girlfriend from a year ago and she wants to give it another shot, I really like you, but I need closure. I hope you don't hate me."

Why do men feel the need to end with that line. This has nothing to do with you. This is about you breaking my heart, who cares if I hate you, if its going to happen you can't stop it. I also want to know why men feel the need to call you at work and break up with you. I want to send a memo listing appropriate times to end a relationship with appropriate methods. Texting is not ok, refusing to call back is also not ok. I truly do not have any complaints about him. I have been waiting years for a man to be honest with me and he couldn't have been anymore so. Its hard to hate a person who respects you enough to tell the truth. He deserves this chance, I think everyone has that one person they would take a second chance with or at least seriously consider it a good couple of days. It also makes a bittersweet ending, you feel great he told you the truth, I have closure but you also feel crushed, "damn he was a real stand-up individual." The odd thing is earlier that day I was talking to my friend about how you need to open up for it to work. I've thought too many times, wow if he actually got to know me, he would of really loved me. But we get hurt and we attempt to open what we can and protect the core. Today I decided, I was ready to show the core.

What has this taught me about internet dating? I am voluntarily partaking in rapid fire rejection. I don't know how much a person can handle, 6 months of this just might be torture. I will say, if you make it out alive, you will be the strongest you have been in years. What has this taught me about dating in general? You can't settle and there is a man out there who will treat you as you deserve to be treated. What I won't let this do to me? I refuse to join the ranks of the something zombies trolling the internet. I've learned from my past mistakes; you can't control everything and you can't be friends with all your exes but you can control how you take the rejection. This time around I went for class and style. I may have missed a beat today but hopefully I'll be back in tune tomorrow.

No comments: