Thursday, January 22, 2009

All right, Mr DeMille, I'm ready for my close up.

Every year around this time there is always one. They decide, it's my last semester I'm going to give it a shot. Do I blame them, no, but its ballsy. I am, after all, a staff member. At one point, I actually started to wear my fake diamond ring to fend off awkward encounters.

The most classic example and what spawned the ring wearing is when I was unknowingly recruited for a threesome. Apparently he picked me out, invited me out for drinks one night with his girlfriend and I auditioned. Well that's how it went in his mind. In my mind it went, oh this guy seems nice and he's not trying to hit on me because he already has a girlfriend, sure I'll go. Boy was I wrong. I guess I passed the audition because I was invited out for another night and that's when it got ugly and weird. "Isn't she cute?" "Don't you want to kiss her?" NO! Excused myself and left, quickly.

A few days later he apologizes, I'm sorry about that, can we start over like apology. And me, the person who likes second chances said, alright we can hang out. Sure enough they tried again, this time using a sneakier tactic. They got me really drunk and convinced me I needed to go back to their place to sober up before I went home. Their roommate was home, who actually tried again when you get virutally bitch slapped after the first attempt. Well, they do. It got really uncomfortable, really fast and I FREAKED OUT!!! I ran and attempted to stumble home really loaded. I called my friend and made them talk to me the whole way home. Thankfully I made it and can tell the story today.

So there you have it, I don't trust them.

Now back to present time. My coworker is convinced, still, that there is a pool out there. Who can hook up with the registrar's assistant first. And after 8 years of saying no I can't possibly say yes to any of them, this isn't even about the fact that I work here, it's about keeping the streak alive. You go out with one and then you are that girl who dates students. The "Summer Abroad Ho." It's just not going to happen.

Last night one of the nicest ones comes in to pick up something they lost, he's so nice I actually feel bad about his post, kind of. I could tell in the first 5 minutes where this was going but it took about another 10 or 15 to get there, especially with lines like, "so where do you hang out?" "Maybe I'll run into you." "I like to hang out here." "So umm...yeah" It was endearing and he was embarassed, but the clock was tic'ing. Normally I have no problem shooting people down but last night I was so drained from the weekend that I couldn't say no and gave out my number. All these Chandler syndrome men are rubbing off on me, it's terrible! I'll have to do the nice take down later. What kills me is I have the best excuse in the book, I'm not allowed but noooo...here I am awkwardly saying sure and then closing the door and hiding in the office another 15 minutes.

The next day my coworker actually asked, "this was more awkward than the time a student tried to feed you!?!" Yes! And that's saying something.

No comments: